Carter Godwin Woodson lived from December 19, 1875 – April 3, 1950, he was an African-American historian, author, journalist and the founder of the Association for the Study of African American Life and History.
He completed his Ph.D. in history at Harvard University in 1912, where he was the second African-American (after W.E.B. DuBois) to earn a doctorate. Dr. Woodson has been cited as the father of black history.
In 1926, Woodson pioneered the celebration of “Negro History Week”, designated for the second week in February, to coincide with marking the birthdays of Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass. The week of recognition became accepted and has been extended as the full month of February, now known as Black History Month.
Coming from a large, poor family, Carter Woodson could not regularly attend school. Through self-instruction, Woodson mastered the fundamentals of common school subjects by age 17.
Convinced that the role of his own people in American history and in the history of other cultures was being ignored or misrepresented among scholars, Woodson realized the need for research into the neglected past of African Americans. Along with Alexander L. Jackson and three aswas the year Woodson published The Education of the Negro
Dr. Woodson’s most cherished ambition, a six-volume Encyclopedia Africana, lay incomplete at his death on April 3, 1950 at the age of 74.
- sha3er likes this
- mychaloh likes this
- tagesgeld4konto6 likes this
- closetgothic likes this
- iamvannalee likes this
- coololdthings likes this
- summerwll reblogged this from iloveretro
- blreeves reblogged this from girafica
- flobotics likes this
- youwilldigthis likes this
- girafica reblogged this from iloveretro
- caleighrg likes this
- allaboutpai reblogged this from iloveretro
- thunderperfectminds reblogged this from iloveretro
- khan-is-better-than-you likes this
- wanderlustwithdrawal likes this
- iloveretroo reblogged this from iloveretro and added:
- iloveretroo likes this
- letthexdestroy likes this
- neverforgetthiss likes this
- wasap-bi likes this
- iloveretro posted this